Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Cooking Challenge Week TWO, Recipe 1
Jen's Indulgent Chicken Alfredo
Serves: 2-4 Start to Table time: 45 minutes
1lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts-cut into strips
1 pkg fresh button mushrooms-quartered
1/4 small onion, diced
1 cup breadcrumbs-I prefer Italian
8 Tablespoons butter
1 jar alfredo sauce (yes, I usually just buy the premade stuff) Classico Four Cheese Alfredo Sauce
1 pkg fettuccini noodles
1/4 cup chopped tomato
Pepper to taste
1. Boil the noodles according to package
2. While the noodles are cooking, place 2 Tablespoons of butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Sautee onions until translucent, then add the mushrooms until they begin to sweat. Remove mushrooms and onion from pan and turn off stovetop heat.
3. Melt 6 Tablespoons butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Spread out the breadcrumbs on a plate. Line up the cut chicken, bowl of butter, breadcrumb plate, and a clean plate on the counter. Take each piece of chicken, dip into the butter, then coat with the breadcrumbs. Place breaded chicken on the clean plate until all pieces are coated. (I often add shredded parmesan, paprika and garlic to the breadcrumbs for extra flavor.)
4. Heat up the skillet where the onions and mushrooms cooked and add in the breaded chicken. (You may need to add a little more butter to the pan.) Cook chicken until no longer pink inside and nicely browned on the outside.
5. While the chicken is cooking, heat the alfredo sauce in a small saucepan.
6. Once the chicken is almost browned, add back in the onions and mushrooms to warm (or add the mushrooms and onions directly to the alfredo sauce).
Plate as follows:
Chicken with mushrooms and onions
Sprinkle with tomatoes and pepper to taste
Tips: The mushrooms and/or onions can be left out. I've also made this with shrimp in place of the chicken. Rhodes rolls breadsticks are the perfect side to this dish!
I would love to get your feedback on this recipe. Is there anything that is confusing or seems misleading. Have you made this dish? If so, please post your comments below.
Posted by A Hunter's Wife at 12:58 PM